Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hot Chicken Chowder

I made spicy chicken chowder last Saturday and it turned out great. The (already awesome) original recipe is from the food network - by Paula Deen and I put my own twist into it - although the main essence is still the same.

Here are some of the changes I made:

  • From the original recipe, it calls for 2 large onions. I used 3 large onions.
  • Instead of all poblano peppers, I used a combination of poblano, cubano, and jalapeno - and I left some seeds in to give more heat. If you want - you can roast the peppers first, make it even tastier.
  • Instead of 3 quarts of broth, I only used between 2 and 2.5 quarts. This will render thicker soup (depending on your taste, you may or my not like this). If you prefer thinner soup, you can use 3 quarts like the original recipe says.
  • Since I love cilantro, I added more to it during serving time.
  • If you want - you can add corn to it.


Now here is the kicker ... it tastes even better the second day - so my advice is to make it at night and eat it for lunch the next day! Get a cuban bread and you are set!

No comments: